Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Two Best People I Will Ever Know

An anecdote.

I finally got home at 12 in the afternoon today.

Once I entered my house, Carol was already asking me if I'm hungry, if I want to eat, "Let's eat let's eat come on." And if you know Carol, you do not deny Carol's offers. She just wants to feed you. Accept it! It makes her happy.

And so, we gathered everyone's orders and hopped in the car and drove everywhere to get everyone's food. She told me that she wanted to buy food for my mom and drop it off at work. And so we went to a Filipino restaurant.

When we arrived there, I found that Carol knew the people working there. And as I listened to their conversations, nearly zoning out, I noticed that they began talking about my parents. I heard her say, "I wish she was my daughter, I can only wish." (In Tagalog of course).

I tuned in on them then. And I listened to the kind words they spoke of my parents. They spoke as if I wasn't there, like I couldn't understand a thing they were saying. But they went on anyway. Carol continued to talk about how beautiful of a heart my mother has. And the lady she was speaking to agreed and referred to my parents as the two kindest people. A smile crept on my face then. The way Carol genuinely said she could only wish that my parents were her children really struck me. And the way this stranger, someone who is just slightly acquainted to my parents spoke of them with such sincerity made me gleam with pride.

I walked out of that restaurant with a smile stamped on my face. We then drove to my mother's work where we surprised her with lunch. We headed to her wing, and I immediately spotted her, busy working, but I yelled out "Mama!" anyway. It felt instinctive then that I would easily find her. Her face painted itself a light blush of pink and her eyes were pleading too much happiness. Her coworkers then commended on how loved she was and how lucky she was. And I once again gleamed with pride. I kissed my mama goodbye, and Carol and I happily left the building.

On our way home, Carol spoke endlessly of my parents. She talked about how hardworking and strong and kind and welcoming and loving they are. She even said that my mother was a patron when they worked together. Everyone loved and respected her. And the same exact way with my dad. And I was proven then, more certain than I ever was, that my parents are meant to be together. She became sad once she said, "I'll miss all of you so much..." And I felt her sadness then too. Carol loves our family so much. Her love for us is so incredibly tangible that it's almost incomprehensible. I know that she'll keep playing the grandmother figure she is now to us.

Sometimes, I neglect to acknowledge the two most amazing people in my life. It's sad really. Because I know, no matter who I meet in the future, no one will ever compare to my parents. And I'm confident to say that even if they weren't my parents, if I'd met them, I know that I would agree that they are the two most incredible, unstoppable, and incomparable people. If you knew my parents, you'd know exactly what I'm talking about.

"I've never met two parents more in love than yours." -Ace. And she's right. On top of being the best people, they're also terribly in love. Which proves to the world more than the world already knows. They're not just a pair of people living under one house, tending for and loving their children and our family. They are also filled to the brim with their love for each other. They're a team. And they have always been a team. Ever since they met in high school.

And so, Carol and I arrived home. And by then my heart was overwhelmed with the thought of my parents.

Sometimes I need that little push to keep going. And for the past days, weeks, I have been waiting for that little push. I think I found it today, just what I needed.

I think my parents will be legends. My parents can move mountains. My parents can show this world what everyone is missing out on. If the world ever crumbles to a ruin, I know for certain that my parents' love will live on.

ARCHIVE, FUCKERS (for Ace-like purposes)