Sunday, March 13, 2011

Digital Photography 101


When I went to class on Wednesday, my selection of photos received good reviews and good reactions from the class and the professor. Even though I submitted the photos that weren't initially intended for the project, I still patted myself on the shoulder for having commendable photos that I took leisurely.

This photo specifically. To be honest, when I took this shot and reviewed it in my camera, I thought nothing of it. I thought it was just another photo of these two. I ignored it and put it in the backburner of my Lightroom. But that final day of submitting my work, I looked at it again and saw something I hadn't seen before. And I can't exactly describe what I realized, but I suddenly felt strongly about this photo. The way her hand cradles his face, and how we can't quite tell what she's doing to him, but it's evident that he's mesmerized almost. Completely unaware of the rest of the world. Just her.

"Perfect timing," he said. But that's just the thing. It's so very rare for me to catch just the perfect moment. I got lucky with this. But this is what I want. I want a quick eye, a good eye. Photography seems like this simple, easy, peek and snap, get-that-pretty-shot concept. But fuck it is not. You have to be able to show beyond what is visually in the photograph. I decided. I don't want pretty pictures. Pretty pictures are easy. I'm looking for something more.

And to be honest, it's sucking the patience out of me. It's Sunday. It's Sunday and I still have not taken one single decent shot to submit on Wednesday. I need 20. I need...20.

ARCHIVE, FUCKERS (for Ace-like purposes)