Sunday, April 17, 2011

Glory Days

ODD FUTURE WOLF GANG KILL THEM ALL


My aching limbs woke me up 6 am early this morning to remind me of the glorious day I spent at the beach. I've always liked the beach. Always liked the thought of taking a roadtrip to the beach. Always liked the idea of being at the beach. The water, the sand, the fishy smell. But I think I officially love the beach. I officially love the beach even as I walked around with my lady parts sand-covered. I officially love the beach even after I swallowed ten gallons of salt water that burned down my throat. Even after the waves ate my entire body and forced it to tumble all the way to the shore. Every muscle in my body is sore from the thrashing and crashing and scraping a football field's worth of sand and rocks against my skin with the sun-setting force of the Thieving Ocean's Angry Waves. This soreness is making me giggle. Chronic made it even funnier but even more difficult trying to fight myself up against the waves. I think I spent more time crawling and literally rolling with the waves to shore than actually playing with the waves. Every time I would try to pick myself up, another wave would already be charging itself on me. Through the pain and lack of grace, I only remember laughing until I added more soreness to my sides.

Yesterday I realized that I love the simplicity of playing catch. I like memorizing the way a glove feels on my hand. I like making my body stretch itself for a catch and a throw. I don't think I stopped playing until we had to leave. I can't recall. But I do recall the... most colorful moments of my day. The sun turned into lava and Jordan was just a black shadow wearing the brightest jacket and each time he threw the ball, I thought it would hit me in the face and knock me out. But I caught it. I caught it like a black sun spot I imagined it to be.

But the glory days hour was my favorite. It felt like I woke up and saw the beach painted orange. The smell of the ocean and burning firewood made my heart slowly fall to my stomach. I then realized that I didn't want to leave and I didn't want the hour to change. I just wanted to stand there, and watch everyone squinting at the sun and smiling.

For now, these will be my glory days.

ARCHIVE, FUCKERS (for Ace-like purposes)