Saturday, December 4, 2010

A waste of gas and wasting time

But who ever said that wasting it away should be regrettable?

I spent my Saturday at home. A phone call from my father was the rude awakening of my morning. When the words 'Mom' and 'emergency room' are in the same sentence, there is no way you could wake up any other way. I drove to the hospital with him, picked up my mom. Nobody would tell me what happened, so I remained patient. Luckily, whatever happened was minor, and she stepped out of the hospital looking ill and squinty-eyed, but nothing to worry myself dead over. Alright, I said. I drove her home. She went off to bed, as did I. I knew to stay home then.

My next awakening was of my sister jumping on my bed asking what I would like to eat. It was 2pm by then, and everyone was hungry. I am the driver. I am the designated driver of this family and so White Haired Lady, my sister, and I hopped in the car after I emptied my urine tank, and hunted for food. Mom wanted Chipotle, so we went to Chipotle. The sweet White Haired Lady asked me what Ace wanted to eat. She just knows that Ace would come home soon. But I broke her the news that she had to go to work. And so back in the car, Chipotle off the list, and Panda Express next. Then, we feasted in the comfort of our dining room.

When my father arrived home from work, he told me I had the honorary privilege to be his driver for the night. He had a party to go to. Mom was supposed to be his date, but of course, her illness forbid her the option. Nonetheless, Dad kept insisting that Mom would be in the car to drop him off anyway. He really just wanted her to go. So, I dropped him off with RV in the car. We went back home with Eclipse on Blu-ray. That was our plan of the night. Feast and watch Eclipse. But another rude interruption was my dad asking me to come back and drop off money for him because he hadn't any cash with him. And so, another trek to Newark. But this time, after finishing my drop off duty, RV and I began playing Bon Iver in the car. And that led us to talking about just how lovely and beautiful the album is. And that led me to driving slower into the neighborhoods, and around, just so we can finish listening to the songs. We looked at the bright houses, lit up by the spirit of Christmas, Bon Iver surrounding us. This... I must say, was a very well spent Saturday.

And so I wasted gas, and so we wasted time away, but I was with the right people tonight. My family. And on a chill December night, everything is perfected.

On top of that, Ace went home tonight. A little late, like White Haired Lady Carol said, but she came home anyway.


Yes, Vegas is finally a happy thought.

ARCHIVE, FUCKERS (for Ace-like purposes)