Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Red-Handed Story --"Devil's Made a New Friend"

There are words that I never imagined to be threaded together. Words I only find in my most hauntingly mundane dreams. Words that manage to claw themselves under my skin, grind against my nerves and bones, and travel all over me. There are words that yank down my jaw to scrape against the floors under me. Words to pull off like a rug I'm standing on. And all of a sudden, everything feels dirty. Everything feels untouchable and unclean and I can't help but take a second glance at the little details of my surroundings. And I double check over my shoulder, left to right and the blindest sight behind me. I squint my eyes at the shadowed corners. I submit to being a hawk and surrender to the unbelievable uneasiness of an unsettling idea.

Then there are words that shed light to the most inconspicuous darkness. Words that give sense to the senseless curiosity and endless wondering. Words that sharpen and magnify a blur of a picture that you began to draw in your head. And in that second while your jaw is still scraping against the floors under you, the clarity stuns your oblivious consciousness till there's nothing left out of you but the last exiting air of your astonished gasp. And with that immovable O-shape of your mouth, you swear at your unawareness and carelessness and you hope that this is just your most hauntingly mundane dream. Then you can't imagine how you can wake up the same the next morning, let alone manage to find an undisturbed sleep.

And lastly, there are words that force you to see in ways you never wished to see before. Words that jam distrust down your roughened throat. Words that obtrude bitter tastes in your mouth. Words that make you hold your breath and shake your head in disbelief. There are these fucking words that mean you have to blink frantically to assure that what you see is what it really is. Words that make you twist to answer your burning questions. Words that can trick you into seeing threes of everything to look at. Question everything. Suspect everything.

These fucking words have been circulating my bloodstreams. These fucking words have been repeating and echoing in my head. These fucking words found the loudest frequency and used it for me to hear. For me to bend my head down to my knees and cover my ears with the flat of my palm and wish I'd gone deaf for those few minutes.

The outstanding truth is now the most prominent thread of words that have crossed my mind. More prominent than your bone structure. You're red-handed and you've become the thoughts that I want to bleach and burn out of my head. And now we can't wake up the same. None of us can wake up the same.

"Devil's made a new friend"

ARCHIVE, FUCKERS (for Ace-like purposes)