Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ravenous

I had been working on this piece sporadically for quite some time now. Actually, ever since I started nursing. I wrote Gil's letter during my first week of pre-req in early October and I complimented it with Scarlet's after. It took me till tonight to finally finish it. I sacrificed my study time for this. But I really felt like finishing something. This is my first epistolary piece and I haven't decided if I'll keep continuing it. Anyway....



Dearest Dr. Gil,
     I painted my room the other day. If you were here, I’m certain it would have been finished. In fact, if you were here, I’m sure you would've actually painted while I boastfully and almost insolently splattered my walls to create my own personal Jackson Pollock. Instead my walls fashion patches of white. I bet you would hate the color. My room is a sunflower. Although right now, it looks like a dying, withering sunflower. Like it’s been left in the waste basket while the family is away on vacation. It really isn't so bad.
     Maybe I’ll visit you. But maybe not. I’m quite the busy person you know. Yesterday, I slept a full eighteen hours while Napoleon licked wet paint off my walls and the left-open lids. His fur was covered with patches of golden yellow and he licked my face awake. Probably hungry for real food. With all that going on, I simply have no time for anything. Therefore, how could I possibly see you? I argued with myself whether you even wanted to see me.
     When I can feel myself miss you, I like to imagine you with your white coat, without looking anyone in the eyes. Do you wear white coats? I would like to hope so. My dreams would otherwise be shattered. I also like to hope that you’ve given up haircuts and shaving. I’m sure you’re doing something to defy that place. I can only imagine the resentment you’re cooking up inside you while you stay awake way passed your bed time to receive your sufficient 2 hours of sleep for the day. You must adore your time of solitude. There’s no way you’d be blending in, cooperating, and making friends there. There’s no way. Am I wrong? I can only see you taking your afternoon walks, staring off into nothing, speaking and interacting with no one. Trapped in the confinement of your stubborn thoughts. I’ll be damned if you tell me you’ve made even one friend. Or found any sort of companion.
     If you were wondering, my room is no longer the wasteland that you hated it for. In fact, due to my impetuous decision to paint my walls, I had emptied my room entirely. No clothes. No pictures. No hoarded miscellaneous junk or furniture from flea markets, thrift stores, or neighbors’ garbage cans. The only thing that’s ever in here with me is my full-sized mattress on the floor and Napoleon. Occasionally I would have one of the books that you gave me or pens and papers here with me, but other than those, I am alone. I’m sure your room there is quite spacious and neat, just like your old room here. Your things meticulously arranged with you sitting on your desk, staring at your walls, probably contemplating your next attempt to get yourself to hate you even more.
     It took me months to finally write this. Suppose I’d been waiting to hear from you first. Hoping you’d beat me to it.
I saved the frame, in case you’d been wondering. I took out your drawings and stashed them away. Or threw them away. I can’t remember now. Either way, I didn’t want to see the last picture you’d drawn and left me with. So instead I hung the empty frame in front of my door.
Sincerely,
Scarlet




Dear Scarlet,
     I used to enjoy the defiance of my internal clock. Four in the morning was the hour that God granted me to possess. It was gracious of him, really. I figured it was probably why I’d turned out so goddamned queer. Why words come out of my mouth unlike the way they do of those around me. Apart from you of course. I believe you took a class on me. Which is strange because it never even seemed like you had the interest or patience to take a class on anything. Anyway, it’s four in the afternoon and I’m leisurely taking my two hour break before I must attend a night lecture.  It’s all so dull. Watching my professors push up their glasses and fold their hands together. Oftentimes I find myself making tight, straining fists until my palms turn blotchy white and I watch them return to their normal pink. I knew I’d been foolish doing something like this. Foolish for doing something for the sole purpose of having the satisfaction that I could. I loathe it all, Scarlet. My vocabulary has been translated to the medical Latin that every person in this university pretentiously speaks. Consequent to this, I have the tendency of declining group invitations and I relish in watching their faces semi-understandingly scrutinize me.
Not even a single hour belongs to me to write down something I’ve created or thought of myself. My days are clinical, anatomical, and severe. Every day I come to class, my craving for bone marrow flourishes. Not even the delicacy of animal bone marrow. I see pictures of these opened bone marrows printed on my textbooks; brighter than blood red. Thicker and frothy. And all my ponderings now belong to concocting my own personal recipes for cooking and preparing a dinner for one in my puny room. Drinking red wine. Taking bites of the marrow as if it’d been caviar in another life. Without chewing or swallowing. Merely tasting for a while till I’m ready to begin digesting and absorbing it as my own. This delicate craving serves another reason why I avoid fitting in with everyone here. I much rather imagine them cut up, and I, fishing for their bone marrow. Searching for the froth of red. I imagine each of them tasting different from the next and I wallow in the curious thoughts of knowing the differences in tastes.
In the afternoons, in between classes, while walking around the campus with my books tightly pressed in my hands beside me, I watch familiar and unfamiliar faces and I carefully create a recipe out of each of them. Those whom I could plausibly be fond of always turn out to be the successful recipes in my head. But without fail, even those whom I dislike from distant observations turn out to be an imaginarily decent meal. Sometimes I wish I knew where I’d gone. The hollowness I found when I’d first arrived here mutated into what I should considerably recognize as a disturbing anomaly. But unapologetically, as long as I’m here, I don’t give a damn.   
My God, Scarlet, I used to know the tiny particles that swam in my head. But now my appetite has changed and I miss walking into the bold color of your room while you’re tangled by washed and unwashed clothes. I can only imagine being with the paramount of your piles now. I still loved it anyway. Unlike my puny room which is tidy and white. Inside my closet you’ll find where I’ve stored my mountains of washed and unwashed garments, hats of every kind (no longer classified from order of my most favorite to least). I should have taken with me that picture frame you loved so much, even though I wouldn’t have had pictures to place and replace in it bi-weekly. I know you think I hated the messes you made and never cleaned, but the only picture I want to draw and frame are your piles and that  crimson color red. Maybe I’ll try to find another frame that you might like. And maybe I’ll draw your shoulder blade the next time I can breathe.
But for now I’m out of time.
With love,
Gil.

ARCHIVE, FUCKERS (for Ace-like purposes)